Are ready to take the leap to upgrade your back yard with a pool? If so, you may be wondering if you need to hire a landscape architect for your pool design or if all you need is a pool company.
You are not alone in asking this question. As a matter of fact, at Outside Landscape Group, we are often asked if a landscape architect is needed when adding a pool. After 22 years in the business, we know first-hand that putting in a pool isn’t just about digging a hole and adding some cement and pool equipment. In actuality, the number of considerations in undertaking a pool project are much larger than you would expect.
We’ve designed and created thousands of resort-like spaces, many including breath-taking pools, for our clients. We plan and coordinate the entire project, taking out the guess work for you. We invite you to look at our before and after photo gallery and our pool gallery see our work we’ve created for our clients.
View the other articles in this series:
• 5 Creative Swimming Pool Landscaping Ideas
• Design Tips & Considerations for your Pool Landscape Project
WHAT ARE LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTS AND HOW CAN THEY IMPROVE POOL DESIGN & YOUR HOME’S APPEAL?
Landscape Architecture is the art of creating visually pleasing and meaningful designs that cater to your needs and wants with a comprehensive design, blending creatively with your natural surroundings. Landscape architects are true experts at their trade. Our architects have extensive knowledge and years of experience in horticulture, environmental design, site analysis, layout, grading, construction detailing, and more
We know how to approach your vision and make your dreams come to life, walking you through every step of the way. We also have a deep understanding of your desires, allowing us to create impressive and well-thought-out designs by combining our technical and artistic talents. In short, unlike a pool company, a landscape architect doesn’t simply install a pool in your yard; they create an outdoor experience that will inspire and delight you and your guests for years to come.
Pools are a primary outdoor feature.
When you decide you want a pool, this is not a decision to enter lightly. After all, your swimming pool will become the centerpiece of your yard. A place where you can relax and have fun. And a place where you can invite your friends and family to enjoy.
Plus, a pool is a long-term, important financial investment, so you want to ensure qualified experts are working on your swimming pool project.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU USE A POOL COMPANY TO INSTALL YOUR RESIDENTIAL POOL?
Let’s say you choose a pool company to reach your goal of having a pool for your home. The pool company will likely encourage you to choose a standard pool shape that is easy and cheap to build. They will also likely encourage you to place the pool in the easiest place to build.
These pool contractors will give you what you want — a pool — but they aren’t likely to consider the surrounding features of your yard. And they aren’t likely to fully understand what you want.
It’s not that pool contractors don’t want to give you these things. However, they usually do not have the skills and training to create a landscape vision and design a pool that will seamlessly blend in with and enhance the surrounding environment.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU CHOOSE A LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT TO INSTALL YOUR POOL?
When you hire a landscape company, you get a team of expert consultants who will work together with you to create an outdoor experience, rather than only adding a pool to your yard.
Consider this comment from Houzz: “A landscape architect is worth their weight in gold, and you know the price of gold these days.”
Makes you think, right?
Maybe you’ve visited a friend with a resort-quality back yard or you’ve seen one in pictures: Stunning yards with pools that make you gasp, that carry you away from your daily life and take you to a place of soothing relaxation.
Guess what? Your home could have this WOW-factor too. Involve a landscape architect who can not only share your vision but has the knowledge & experience to make it a reality.
When you choose a landscape architect:
- You avoid common pitfalls, saving you money and speeding up the entire process. We consider things such as irrigation and sprinkler systems and how often the plants and shrubs in your space need water. Also, we know where to place trees to lower your energy bills by reducing heating and cooling costs.
- You will have a personal experience & a custom design. At Outside Landscape Group, our design process begins with a detailed site visit. We come to your home and spend time with you to truly understand what you are looking for in your backyard, and we talk with you about your ideas. We consider the topography and grade changes, existing conditions, plant inventory, drainage concerns, sun exposure, and screening opportunities. We take photos of your property, and then we design a project with your best interest — and your budget — in mind. We can also provide custom services, for example: lighting or building a pergola, pond, or waterfall.
- You will have a safe and well-thought-out space. We consider everything. Do you have young children or elderly people coming to your pool? Then we can give you slip-resistant paving material to surround the pool. And what about fencing around your pool? Based on your location, requirements vary. But our experts are familiar with regulations and know how to follow the rules to give you a safe, private space.
From The American Society of Landscape Architects, here are some other benefits of hiring a landscape architect:
- To increase the value of your home. “Hiring a landscape architect is one of the best investments for your home, adding as much as 15 percent to its value over comparable houses.” Research from Virginia Tech shows how landscapes grow in value over time while traditional home additions or remodels begin to lose value as soon as they are completed.
- To design natural swimming pools. You’ve probably seen bright blue or aquamarine-colored pools, but there are also alternative materials and color options that can provide a more natural-looking pool. They can act like a natural pond while also offering all the benefits of a chlorinated pool with less maintenance and fewer harsh chemicals.
- To have expertise from start to finish. Our landscape architects fully evolve themselves from start to finish for a seamless, worry-free process.
WHY CHOOSE OUTSIDE LANDSCAPE GROUP TO DESIGN YOUR RESIDENTIAL POOL?
Outside Landscape Group is a residential landscape design and construction company serving Georgia and Alabama. As one of Atlanta’s most highly-sought after landscape service experts, we expanded to enable excellence in serving two distinct locations: The original which serves North Atlanta and surrounding regions, and our newest branch serving the Lake Martin, Alabama, area.
From simple courtyard gardens, stunning front yard landscapes, or resort-style backyards, we have you covered!
We we are a full-service company – meaning we design and manage each project from start to finish. Our extensively trained staff can do everything themselves, from traditional landscaping to irrigation, outdoor lighting, carpentry, and more. What does this mean for you? Seamless communication and construction from start to finish and highly efficient building practices.
We would love to design a custom pool for you and build it to meet your unique and personal wants and lifestyle. We give you a beautiful backyard retreat and truly transform your space.
Now that you better understand how we can create an Outside Experience for your home, we invite you to contact us today HERE for Atlanta or HERE for Lake Martin, or call us at 770-754-1188 and schedule your consultation appointment. Our goal is to have our clients say, “Wow! I can’t believe how beautiful and well-crafted our backyard is!” And we’d love to make that happen for you.